Preload Main Menu Hover Preload Affiliations Menu Hover Preload Affiliations Menu Hover Preload Button Hover Preload Loading GIF


Transfer of Credit

All degree-seeking applicants must submit official college records. Previous academic work will be evaluated for possible credits to be applied to the degree programs at the University.

Allowable transfer credits are formally identified and documented. The official transfer credit evaluation is recorded and then filed with the student’s academic file. An official transcript must be received before final transfer work can be accepted and recorded. Course descriptions may also need to be provided if Admissions does not have the relevant catalog from the sending institution. The University will maintain a written record of the previous education and training of all students; that record will clearly indicate that credit has been granted. The student and other agencies such as the VA will be notified accordingly, if applicable.

Degree requirements are determined by combining the transfer credits allowed and the required academic work to be successfully completed at the University. Students can request a copy of the transfer evaluation.

1. Transfer Credit Limits

  1. A Bachelor of Science student may transfer a maximum of 50% of their upper-level coursework from another academic institution for University credit once the transferred coursework has been evaluated and validated.
  2. A maximum of 20% of the credits required for the master’s degree may be given through transfer credit from courses relevant to the degree.
  3. A maximum of 15% of the credits required for the doctoral degree may be given through transfer credit from courses relevant to the degree.
  4. A maximum of 50% of the credits required for a certificate may be awarded for transfer credit and experiential or equivalent credit including challenge/test out credits.
  5. Once a student has matriculated at the University, all further transfer credits must have prior approval.

2. Basis for Institutional Transfer Credit

  1. Transfer credits (if earned within the United States) may be accepted from institutions accredited by agencies recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
  2. International students from government recognized institutions or institutions listed in the International Handbook of Universities must submit original or certified transcripts, translated into English, showing courses completed, grades obtained, and length of program. A syllabus or course description in English covering each course being considered for transfer credit should be submitted with the transcript to Admissions. For Foreign Transcript evaluation procedures, contact the Admissions Department.
  3. Transcripts and syllabi documentation are evaluated for a minimum GPA 2.0/4.0 grade equivalency for the bachelor’s degree programs and 3.0/4.0 for the master’s and doctoral degree programs and subject matter content to determine if transfer credits are accepted.

3. Evaluation process

  1. During the transfer credit evaluation process, academic work from other colleges and universities is compared to the University’s courses within the appropriate degree program, and transfer credits are awarded on the basis of similar curriculum and if necessary, comparison of syllabi. College and University courses completed elsewhere may be considered for transfer credits as electives even though the courses are not offered at the University. All transcripts received become University property and will not be copied or released to other institutions. Transcripts received from applicants who do not enroll within two years of their application date, or who send transcripts but do not subsequently enroll, will thereafter be destroyed unless the applicant maintains communication with this institution that indicates the applicant’s continuing plan to enroll.

4. Credit for knowledge gained outside of the traditional college classroom

  1. Henley-Putnam University may award credit based on American Council on Education (ACE) or Program On Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI) credit recommendations for military training and other occupational experience as it applies to the degree program.  Also included are Advanced Placement Examinations, College Level Examination Program General Examinations (CLEP), and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests.

Evaluation of experiential learning is also reviewed. Students may submit an assessment portfolio providing documentation of learning that has resulted from his or her life experience. Experiential learning is defined as those skills, competencies and knowledge that are gained through work, training, self-development, or volunteer experience. Credit for experiential learning can only be awarded for learning that is measurable and satisfies the objectives of the course in lieu of which the credit is awarded. Learning must likewise be the result of a mixture of practical and theoretical learning, as evaluated by University subject matter experts. No experiential learning credit will be accepted for the Master's or Doctorate degree programs. 

In addition, challenge exams may be requested. Students with experience in a particular area may have the option of challenging a particular course by taking a written and verbal exam. Students must have completed one quarter of course work to be eligible for challenge exams.

Transferability of Credits


The transferability of credits you earn at Henley-Putnam University is at the complete discretion of an institution to which you may seek to transfer. Acceptance of the degree or credits you earn in any Henley-Putnam University Degree Program is also at the complete discretion of the institution to which you may seek to transfer. If the credits or degree that you earn at this institution are not accepted at the institution to which you seek to transfer, you may be required to repeat some or all of your coursework at that institution. For this reason you should make certain that your attendance at this institution will meet your educational goals. This may include contacting an institution to which you may seek to transfer after attending Henley-Putnam University to determine if your credits or degree will transfer.

Program work taken at the University is an emerging technology and not automatically transferable to another institution.  No representation is made whatsoever concerning the transferability of the University’s credits to any other institution.  Acceptance of credits is controlled by the receiving institution.