Preload Main Menu Hover Preload Affiliations Menu Hover Preload Affiliations Menu Hover Preload Button Hover Preload Loading GIF


Military Benefits

Henley-Putnam is a military-friendly University and works with veterans and service members to ensure they can use their military benefits towards their education. We know this process is quite complicated and have trained Enrollment Coordinators that work directly with students, prospects and third party payers. Below are some steps you can take to learn more about paying for your Henley-Putnam education with military benefits.

If you have been assigned an Enrollment Coordinator, please contact them directly with any questions or concerns. If you have not been assigned an enrollment coordinator, please contact Admissions to be assigned an Enrollment Coordinator.

Veterans Education (GI Bill) Benefits FACTS

You might be eligible for more than one GI Bill program but you can only use one. Each GI Bill program is different. The links below will help you decide which is best for you:

Your benefit level will depend on the amount of time on Active Duty service.

Your degree objective and your quarterly course load (rate of pursuit) may be factors in determining the amount of benefits you receive.

If you elect to receive Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits it is an IRREVOCABLE decision. You will be required to relinquish all rights to any previous benefits earned.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill pays the school directly whereas the Montgomery GI Bill is a reimbursement program. You will be paying the school directly and the VA will reimburse you.

Veterans Benefits PROCESS at a glance

If you have never used your military benefits before.

  1. You will need to apply for benefits (VA form 22-1990) via the following link:
    • The application process can take 30 to 45 minutes and upon completion/submittal you will receive a confirmation code. Please keep your confirmation code so that in the case of follow up information is available to provide to the VA Regional Office.
  2. The VA will take approximately 6 to 8 weeks to process your application. Once the VA has processed your application they will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE). Once you receive a copy of your CoE you will need to provide Henley-Putnam University with a copy by either emailing to your Enrollment Coordinator or by faxing to 775-262-1691. The fax number provided is a confidential e-fax.

If you have used your military benefits before.

  1. You will complete VA form 22-1995 or Change of Program/Place of Training. Form 22-1995 is available using the following link or a pdf version can be provided to you by request.
  2. Once the VA completes processing your Change of Program/Place of Training you will be mailed a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE). Once you receive a copy of your CoE you will need to provide your Enrollment Coordinator with a copy by email or fax. 775-262-1691. The fax number provided is a confidential e-fax.

The Muskogee Oklahoma Regional Office processes Henley-Putnam student’s transactions. You can call the VA directly with any questions or concerns at 1-888-GIBILL-1.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Facts

The Department of Defense (DoD) provides up to $4,500.00 per fiscal year in military tuition assistance to Active Duty service members. The DoD fiscal year is from October 1st to September 30th. The amount covered is approximately $166 per quarter credit hour.

You can determine your eligibility for Tuition Assistance by seeing your Education Service Officer or base Education Office.

A tuition assistance request must be submitted each quarter or class session and it requires class registration prior to tuition assistance approval.

There are differences in tuition assistance provided and procedures based upon your branch of service. Please click on the link for your branch of service to understand those differences.

Links to Branches of Service for tuition assistance:

The tuition assistance process should be started at least 3 to 4 weeks prior to your class start date. Timeframe will vary based upon branch policies. Please be aware that tuition assistance must be in place prior to the start of your classes. If you do not have your tuition assistance in place you assume responsibility for the cost of your courses to enable you to begin your classes as scheduled or you can elect to delay your start date until tuition assistance is approved.

Henley-Putnam University is on the quarter system.  When filling out your request for TA you must use quarter units.

Other helpful links:

Coast Guard-How to apply for TA:

Military Tuition Assistance PROCESS at a glance

  1. Apply and be accepted to the University or complete re-enrollment paperwork if continuing student.
  2. Meet with your ESO for tuition assistance briefing as needed.
  3. Submit your request for tuition assistance through your branch of service.
    • Army form: available through
    • Navy form: NAVEDTRA 1560/5
    • Air Force form: AF 1227
    • Marines form: NAVMC 10883
    • Coast Guard form: CGI 1560
    • National Guard form: DA-2171
    • Reserves forms: Depending upon branch of service might be available on line or check with your Education Office

Top-Up Facts

Top-Up is a VA benefits program that works in conjunction with your military tuition assistance. This program was developed for those Active Duty service members whose tuition assistance does not cover the full cost of tuition. Top-Up will cover the remaining cost of tuition that military tuition assistance does not cover.

Keep in mind that with the differences in the various VA programs you might not be eligible for the Top-Up program. Click on the following link to see if you are eligible: Also, depending upon the VA program more of your VA entitlement might be exhausted when using Top-Up then you expected. For clarification or more information on how your benefits might be affected please contact your Enrollment Coordinator. The Top-Up process must be completed each time you enroll in a course and elect to use both your Tuition Assistance and the Top-Up program.

Top-Up PROCESS at a glance

  1. Ensure you are eligible for VA benefits. If you have not used VA benefits in the past you must apply for benefits and be approved. Please follow instructions on how to apply for benefits found or contact your Enrollment Coordinator.
  2. Request Tuition Assistance and have tuition assistance approved. Each branch of service has different procedures to request Top-Up. Contact your Enrollment Coordinator for more information.
  3. If you have a scholarship from Henley-Putnam University please contact your Enrollment Coordinator for information on how to fill out your tuition assistance requests while considering the scholarship.
  4. Once TA is approved forward the approved copy to your Enrollment Coordinator and inform them of your desire to participate in the Top-Up program.

Your Enrollment Coordinator will then ensure that Top-Up is referenced on your approved TA request and provide the VA with a copy.